Vegan Almond Butter Cookies made with just 8 ingredients. These cookies are whole wheat and have no refined sugar or oil!
Life has been a bit hectic around here lately. We're having some work done on our house and that has had some hiccups along the way as almost any home improvement project does. While those issues have been figured out now and it's back to smooth sailing on that project, the dishwasher decided to give out recently. I'm not into the whole hand washing thing so getting a replacement was required immediately. But of course, that came with its own set of complications meaning I still don't have a working dishwasher. Baking is my go to activity when stress or irritation creeps in and nothing is more comforting than a fresh baked warm cookie so these Vegan Almond Butter Cookies happened. They're super delicious and bonus there's not a ton of dishes to wash. Yay!
These cookies are super simple to make, per my usual style, requiring just 8 ingredients and relatively little effort plus they are fairly healthy for a cookie.
So, what makes these cookies healthier than most? It starts with my favorite white whole wheat flour, almond butter so there's no need for oil, and my go to healthier sweeteners coconut sugar and maple syrup. Add to that a some ground flax seeds and this cookie is tasty and packing a bit of nutrition.
The texture of this cookie is tender with a little bit of chewiness and a delicious almond-y flavor. The whole family really enjoyed these and have already asked when I'll be making the next batch!
If you try this recipe, let me know how it turns out! Leave a comment below or snap a pic and tag it @weelittlevegans on Instagram so I’ll be sure to see it!
Vegan Almond Butter Cookies
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup almond butter I used creamy.
- 1 flax egg - 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds + 2 tablespoon water
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1-8 -¼ teaspoon salt use ¼ teaspoon if almond butter is unsalted
- ½ tsp baking soda
- With a mixer combine coconut sugar, maple syrup, and almond butter until creamy and smooth.
- Add flax egg and vanilla and mix to combine.
- In a bowl thoroughly combine flour, salt, and baking soda.
- Add flour mixture a little at a time to almond butter mixture and mix to form a soft dough.
- Cover dough and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Scoop chilled dough and roll into approximately 1 ½ inch balls.
- Place balls on baking sheet leaving several inches between. Use the palm of your hand to flatten into cookie shape about ¼ inch thick. Be sure there is room around all sides of cookie as they will spread a bit.
- Bake for 8-9 minutes or until tops look dry and bottom of cookie has browned lightly. Cookies will still be soft at this point, but firm up as they cool. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to continue cooling.
CLICK BELOW TO PIN FOR LATER