It’s beginning to look at a lot like Christmas. Decorations are hung, we’re watching tons of Christmas movies, and listening to holiday music. It’s feeling very festive around here. Christmas is so much more fun with little ones, I think anyway. They get so excited about all the outdoor decorations.
All week my oldest was just thrilled to see the Nativity scene at the house down the street from us. It didn’t matter she had seen it the day before, it was the same excitement level every time. And my youngest just had to walk by the next door neighbors everyday to see the large snowman on their front porch. Watching their little faces light up as bright as the lights on the house really is the best.
Now that we’re in full holiday mode, baking cookies only seems right and these Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies are oh so right. Soft baked, chocolaty, vegan and so very yummy. If you love chocolate like I do then you will want to make these for sure.
On a side note I received a very early Christmas(and birthday, and Christmas next year)present- a new camera. Super excited!! I’m still learning, but I think there is improvement already.
If you try this recipe, let me know how it turns out! Leave a comment below or snap a pic and tag it @weelittlevegans on Instagram so I’ll be sure to see it!
Vegan Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
- 1 cup flour - all purpose or whole wheat pastry work well
- 1 ½ cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ - 1 cup coconut sugar or cane sugar Florida Crystals is certified vegan
- 1 flax egg - 1 tablespoon + 2 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup vegan butter or coconut oil, firm
- ¼ cup apple sauce
- ¼ cup vegan chocolate chips optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a cookie sheet.
- Whisk ground flax and water in a small bowl and set aside for about 5 minutes to thicken.
- Cream butter or coconut oil and sugar until fluffy using a stand mixer or a hand mixer.
- Add flax egg, applesauce, and vanilla and mix to combine.
- Add flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, mix to combine.
- Using a wooden spoon stir in oats and chocolate chips.
- Spoon dough about the size of a tablespoon on prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Allow to cool on the pan before moving to a wire rack for about 5 minutes.