Flavorful, hearty, and satisfying, this Vegan Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup is perfect for chilly autumn days. Made with 10 ingredients and ready in less than hour. Great with a vegan grilled cheese sandwich!
One of my most favorite things to eat when I was little was tomato soup and grilled cheese. Although back then it was the canned stuff, you know the watery stuff with heaps of salt added? Yeah, not the healthiest or even the tastiest. Thankfully, I know better now so today I'm bringing you my healthier and way tastier version of the classic kid friendly soup.
This Vegan Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup is everything you want in a good tomato soup, it's flavorful, hearty, and totally satisfying plus it's super simple to make.
I like to add as many vegetables as I can into the meals I make for my family and soups, especially blended ones, are a great place to do this. So, for this tomato soup I added carrots which have a natural sweetness to balance the acidity of the tomatoes without adding sugar while also upping the veggie factor. The result is a perfectly balanced, nutrient dense soup the kids are sure to love.
And to make this soup appealing to adults too, I make a quick cashew cream to swirl in for extra richness and flavor. All you need is softened cashews blended with water until creamy.
There's just something so comforting about a bowl of warm, delicious tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich for dipping on a chilly day, am I right? Obviously, a conventional grilled cheese is a no go these days, but there are some really awesome vegan cheeses becoming more widely available. We like Follow Your Heart Slices, the provolone, smoked gouda, american style slices are all really delicious and Chao Creamy Original Slices.
Whenever we have this soup we always have it with a grilled cheese because really it's just not same without it.
So let me ask you, what was your favorite meal to eat as a child? Is it still your favorite?
And here's a few more vegan soups to try!
If you try this recipe, let me know how it turns out! You can leave a comment below or even better, snap a pic and tag it @weelittlevegans on Instagram so I can see what you make!
Vegan Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup
- 1 lb roma tomatoes, halved
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 2-3 carrots, cut into sticks
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 1 ½ cup vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt + more
- ¼ teaspoon pepper + more
- ½ tsp dried basil or 1 teaspoon fresh
- 1 cup cashews, soaked overnight and drained Quick soak by boiling cashews for about 15 minutes.
- ½ - ¾ cup water, depending on desired thickness
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place all tomatoes, carrots, onion, and garlic on baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and a dash of salt and pepper.
- Roast for 30-35 minutes until softened and slightly browned.
- Transfers roasted tomatoes and veggies to a blender and add broth. Blend until smooth.
- Transfer soup to a sauce pan on the stove and add salt, pepper, and basil. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Pour through a fine mesh strainer to remove any seeds for a smoother texture, if desired.
- Serve immediately with a drizzle of cashew cream and a grilled cheese, if desired.
- Combine soaked cashews and water and blend until creamy. Add more water to thin to desired consistency.