Okay the time has come. No more keeping this one to myself. It’s just too good and must be shared. I shared a sneak peak of this decadent, chocolatey, deliciousness on Instagram last week and have been eagerly waiting to share it here.
I’ve seen a ton of recipes using a cast iron skillet floating around lately so I felt inspired to get mine out and get to work creating. The resulting dessert is now my hubby’s absolute favorite. I can’t say he’s wrong. This Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Skillet Cookie tastes out of this world AMAZING.
What’s better than a chocolate chip cookie? Not much in my book except maybe this skillet cookie. It’s thicker like a brownie, but with all the flavor and richness of a warm chocolate chip cookie. Add a scoop of creamy vegan ice cream and it’s just perfect. Seriously, go for the ice cream on this one.
I used oat flour so this recipe is easily gluten free and coconut sugar because I just love it’s subtle caramel flavor.
Another great thing about this dessert, you only need one bowl, 10 minutes to prep, and 30 minutes to bake. In less than an hour you’ll be ready to treat yourself.
This cookie skillet is a bit more decadent than I usually make anymore, but every now and then it’s good to indulge, right? I think so.
If you try this recipe, let me know how it turns out! Leave a comment below or snap a pic and tag it @weelittlevegans on Instagram so I’ll be sure to see it!
Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Skillet Cookie
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed or ground chia seeds
- 3 tablespoon water
- 1 cup oat flour
- ¾ cup vegan chocolate chips plus additional for topping, if desired
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup oats plus additional for topping, if desired
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup applesauce, room temperature
- ¼ cup maple syrup, room temperature
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly oil a small cast iron skillet. The one I used is 7 inches around.
- Prepare flax or chia egg by whisking ground seeds with water in a small bowl. Set aside to thicken for about 5 minutes.
- In a bowl combine flour, oats, chocolate chips, baking soda, and salt. Add flax or chia egg, oil, applesauce, and maple syrup. Stir to thoroughly combine.
- Transfer batter to skillet and spread out evenly. Bake for 30 -35 minutes or until cooked through and edges begin to pull away from pan.
- While cookie bakes prepare nice cream if using by blending 2-3 frozen bananas, a splash of non dairy milk, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract until creamy. Remove cookie from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving with nice cream.