A simple and beautiful dessert, this Vegan Berry Skillet Cake is made with minimal ingredients and is ready in less than an hour.
Hi friends! Who else is dreaming of warm summery days spent outdoors? Yeah, me too. Until those days get here, let's enjoy this summer inspired Vegan Berry Skillet Cake.
This cake may look impressive, but it really couldn't be easier to make. Minimal ingredients, one bowl and no layers to assemble, yet gorgeous thanks to those deep red sweet strawberries. Perfect for a last minute dessert!
For this recipe, I started with my go to vanilla cake recipe, which according to our non vegan family and friends it better than traditional cake. YAY, I love proving vegan food is just as or even more delicious than the non vegan versions!
I made just a couple of adjustments to the measurements for this recipe and added sweet ripe strawberries for a stunningly beautiful yet simple cake.
For most of my baking I use white whole wheat for the added nutrition and this cake is no different. But don't worry this cake is not dense in the least. Sifting the flour helps to produce a light and fluffy texture so don't skip this step!
Strawberries are in season for us and a favorite around our house, but you can use any berries you have on hand for this cake. Blueberries, blackberries, raspberries would all be delicious or try a mix of them.
A cast iron skillet gives a lovely, slightly crisp edge to this cake that I personally love. You can still make this cake even if you don't have a cast iron skillet though. Any ovenproof skillet or even a cake pan will work. Just adjust the baking time accordingly.
Since this cake is not frosted, we opted for a light dusting of powdered sugar for serving and think it was just perfect. We hope you love it as much as we do!
More recipes featuring berries
If you make a recipe, I would love to know how it turns out! You can leave a comment and rating below or snap a pic and tag it @weelittlevegans on Instagram so I’ll be sure to see it!
Vegan Berry Skillet Cake
- ½ cup non dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 ¼ cup flour I use white whole wheat
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup neutral oil
- ¼ cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup strawberries, trimmed and quartered Blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, etc will work too
- powdered sugar to serve optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and lightly oil an 10-11 inch oven proof skillet or cake pan. Set aside.
- Combine milk and apple cider vinegar and set aside for about 5 minutes.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Set aside.
- Combine sugar, oil, applesauce and vanilla with milk mixture.
- Pour wet ingredients into flour mixture and stir just to combine.
- Pour batter into prepared skillet or pan and scatter berries over the top.
- Bake for 30- 35 minutes or until the top is golden and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool in the skillet or pan. Dust with powdered sugar, if desried and slice to serve.