Soft baked with the added surprise of chewy dried blueberries, these Blueberry Oatmeal Cookies are a delicious spin on the traditional oatmeal cookie. Vegan, gluten free, and sweetened with coconut sugar.
Oatmeal cookies have always been a personal favorite. So, I have made and eaten quite a few like this delicious chocolate version. These Blueberry Oatmeal Cookies are the latest version we're enjoying.
The idea for these cookies came from a jar of dried blueberries the kids' Great Granny gave us on a recent visit. They were lovely to snack on straight from the jar and I thought the texture would lend it self well to a cookie since they're a bit chewy and sweet like raisins. And since oatmeal cookies are a favorite, I decided it would be the perfect cookie base.
These cookies definitely did not disappoint. They were quickly gobbled up by my little ones (and me) and everyone really enjoyed the surprise of blueberry flavor in each bite.
- chia egg
- old fashioned rolled oats
- oat flour
- baking powder
- baking soda
- coconut sugar
- maple syrup
- coconut oil
- non dairy milk
- dried blueberries
See recipe card below for quantities.
These cookies are really simple to make with no special equipment needed. Start by preparing chia egg. Check out this guide if you're new to vegan baking. Next, thoroughly combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Combine the remaining wet ingredients in another bowl and stir to incorporate. Add wet ingredients and thickened chia egg to dry ingredients and stir to combine. Drop by the spoonful on a parchment lined baking sheet. Use the back of the spoon to smooth the tops down. Bake until golden and cooked through. Allow cookies to cool a bit and then transfer to a wire rack to cool fully.
Store cookies in an air tight container on the counter for 3-4 days.
If you try this recipe, let me know how it turns out! Leave a comment below or snap a pic and tag it @weelittlevegans on Instagram so I’ll be sure to see it!
Blueberry Oatmeal Cookies
- 1 chia egg (1 tablespoon ground chia + 3 tablespoon water) See below for how to make one
- 1 ½ cup gluten free old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup gluten free oat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup dried blueberries
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup applesauce
- ¼ cup non dairy milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone mat. Set aside.
- Prepare chia egg by whisking together ground chia seed and water. Set aside to thicken.
- In a large bowl combine oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and blueberries.
- In another bowl combine coconut sugar, maple syrup, coconut oil, applesauce, and non dairy milk.
- Add chia egg and wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Drop dough by the spoonful onto baking sheet. Flatten a bit with back of spoon.
- Bake for 10 -12 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Allow to cool briefly on the baking sheet and then transfer to a cooling rack.