Creamy and delicious, this Cucumber Dill Chickpea Salad is made with simple wholesome ingredients for a healthy lunch or snack. Vegan, gluten free, no mayo and oil free.
Coming up with easy, but tasty lunches to keep the family satisfied is something I'm always trying to accomplish because really, who wants to eat the same thing every day?! No one, obviously. The kids have been in school for about a month so it's time to work some kitchen magic and whip up new ways to keep the lunch boxes interesting. My kids love chickpea salads and judging by how much love you guys have shown this version, it seems you do too. So, naturally I thought this was a good route to take and this Cucumber Dill Chickpea Salad did not disappoint.
Like the cranberry apple version mentioned above, this Cucumber Dill Chickpea Salad gets its' creaminess from a non dairy yogurt dressing. The yogurt not only makes the salad creamy, but adds a nice tanginess. Add seasonings, a little mustard and fresh lemon zest for brightness and this dressing perfectly compliments the cucumbers and dill.
- non dairy yogurt
- lemon zest
- onion powder
- salt & pepper
- red onion
See recipe card for quantities.
substitutions and variations
Fresh dill or dried dill work here so use what you have on hand. Celery and/or red onion can also be added for extra flavor and crunch. This recipe is very forgiving and easily adjusted to your tastes.
ways to eat it
We enjoy this salad as sandwiches and simply scooping it with crackers. It takes just a few minutes to make using canned chickpeas and it's great for lunches or a protein packed afternoon snack. We hope you will enjoy it too!
If you make a recipe, I would love to know how it turns out! You can leave a comment and rating below or snap a pic and tag it @weelittlevegans on Instagram so I’ll be sure to see it!
Cucumber Dill Chickpea Salad
- ¾ - 1 cup non dairy yogurt, plain and unsweetened depending on how much you like
- 2 teaspoon mustard
- 2 teaspoon lemon zest
- ⅛ teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas or 2 cans drained
- 1-2 cucumbers, peeled, seeds removed and chopped
- 1-2 teaspoon dried dill or 3-4 sprigs fresh
- 2 ribs of celery, chopped optional
- ½ small red onion, diced optional
- Combine dressing ingredients in a bowl and whisk to thoroughly incorporate.
- Taste and adust seasoning to your liking and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash chickpeas using a fork or potato masher to desired texture.
- Add remaining ingredients for salad to chickpeas and stir to combine.
- Pour dressing over salad and fold in to coat.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.