Warm and comforting, this Vegan Three Bean Chili with added vegetables is packed with flavor and nutrition. Perfect for cool, autumn nights!
This Vegan Three Bean Chili is an old family favorite. Every year when the temperatures dip I get out the big pot and whip up this oh so delicious all bean chili. Cornbread is the perfect accompaniment to a warm, spicy bowl of chili so I also like to bake up this one for a hearty meal that satisfies.
- olive oil
- tomato sauce
- fire roasted tomatoes
- kidney beans
- black beans
- garbanzo beans
- chili powder
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- cayenne pepper
- smoked paprika
- salt and pepper
See recipe card below for quantities.
First things first, thinly slice carrots and celery and chop onion. Heat oil in a large pot and add carrots, celery and onion, sauté for 8-9 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Add the sauce, tomatoes, beans and spices. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Continue simmering for about 10 minutes then taste and adjust seasonings to your liking. Simmer for at least 10-15 minutes longer until carrots and celery are tender. For richer flavor, simmer longer stirring occasionally.
Hint: You can use dry beans that are prepared ahead of time or canned beans. If using canned beans, be sure to drain and rinse.
- beans: Use any combination of beans you prefer. Pinto, cannellini, great northern all work well.
- vegetables: Instead of carrots and celery you can use corn, bell pepper, sweet potato, etc.
- extra spicy: increase the cayenne pepper for more spice.
- less spicy: reduce or omit the cayenne pepper and green chilis according to preferences.
If you try this recipe, let me know how it turns out! Leave a comment below or snap a pic and tag it @weelittlevegans on Instagram so I’ll be sure to see it!
Vegan Three Bean Chili
- 1 cup kidney beans
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 cup garbanzo beans
- 3 carrots, sliced thinly
- 2 celery ribs, sliced thinly, optional
- 1-2 cans tomato sauce This will depend on how thick you like yours. I use one.
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes with green chilies
- small onion, diced finely
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ -½ teaspoon cayenne pepper Depending on desired spiciness.
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large saucepan. Add carrots, celery, and onions and sauté for about 8-9 minutes. Add minced garlic and continue to sauté for 30 seconds longer.
- Add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes with their juice, beans, and seasonings and stir. Bring to a boil and then lower heat to a gentle simmer.
- Simmer undisturbed for 10 minutes and then taste and adjust seasonings to you liking.
- Continue to simmer at least another 10-15 minutes or until carrots are tender and heated through. You can serve at this point or it can simmer longer for even better flavor. I usually simmer mine for about 40 minutes. Serve with a chunk of cornbread if desired.