Easy and perfect for summer, this Vegan Tomato Flatbread makes the most of tomato season! Made with 7 ingredients and can be ready in less than 30 minutes.
This easy summer flatbread is the perfect way to enjoy the delicious ripe tomatoes of the season. In fact, there are two types of tomatoes here, sun-dried and fresh.
To make this flatbread I first made this tofu ricotta, which is absolutely perfect here. You could also use a store bought vegan ricotta. The flatbread itself is homemade as well, that recipe is here, but a store bought bread will work too.
Everything needed for this Vegan Tomato Flatbread can be made from scratch or a store bought version can be used for even faster assembly.
- tofu ricotta or vegan ricotta
- sun dried tomatoes
- rainbow grape tomatoes
See recipe card for quantities.
These flatbreads are really easy to put together and can be assembled in minutes.
Cut fresh tomatoes in half and add them to a skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and spinach and sauté for 1-2 minutes until tomatoes begin to blister and soften.
Spread tofu ricotta or store bought ricotta over the surface of flatbread. If you would like to make the flatbread from scratch be sure to check out my recipe here.
Next, add the sun-dried tomatoes over the ricotta. You can chop the tomatoes smaller if preferred.
Spoon sautéed tomatoes and spinach on top of flatbread and bake at 450 degrees for 5-6 minutes or until edges of bread are crisp and browned slightly. Sprinkle vegan parmesan over bread, if desired.
Hint: For a softer crust, bake for about 5 minutes. For a crisp crust, bake for up to 7 minutes.
- Ricotta - use tofu ricotta or for soy free there are several nut based options available on the market.
- Flatbread - use homemade or store bought.
- Sun-dried tomatoes - use tomatoes with oil or without.
- Spicy - add chili pepper flakes while cooking the tomatoes for a little spice.
- Deluxe - add chopped fresh herbs and cashew Parmesan after baking.
- Kid friendly - add shredded vegan cheese over the tomatoes before baking.
There's no special equipment needed to make this flatbread. You'll need access to an oven and basic kitchen tools.
This Vegan Tomato Flatbread is best eaten fresh, but may be stored in an air tight container for 1-2 days.
I haven't tried freezing these flatbreads, but I don't think it would hold up well. You can make ahead the flatbreads and freeze them in a freezer bag. The tofu ricotta can also be made ahead and store separately in an freezer safe container until ready to use.
Don't overcook the fresh tomatoes. They should maintain some firmness and shape, overcooking will cause them to breakdown and become mushy. But, if a few do get too soft, don't worry too much about it.
If you try this recipe, I'd love to know how it turns out! Leave a comment below or snap a pic and tag it @weelittlevegans on Instagram so I’ll be sure to see it!
Vegan Tomato Flatbread
- 2 cups colorful grape or cherry tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- salt and pepper
- 3 flatbreads, homemade or store bought
- ½ cup tofu ricotta
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 3 tablespoon vegan parmesan
- Cut fresh tomatoes in half. Heat a skillet over medium heat and add tomatoes. Add garlic and spinach and sauté for 1-2 minutes until tomatoes begin to blister and soften and spinach is wilted.2 cups colorful grape or cherry tomatoes, 2 garlic cloves, 2 cups fresh spinach, salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees and have two large baking sheets ready.
- Place flatbreads on baking sheets. Spread one third of tofu ricotta or store bought ricotta over the surface of flatbreads.3 flatbreads, homemade or store bought, ½ cup tofu ricotta
- Next, add a one third of the sun-dried tomatoes over the ricotta. You can chop the tomatoes into smaller pieces, if desired.½ cup sun-dried tomatoes
- Divide sautéed tomatoes and spinach over the flatbreads.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 5-6 minutes or until edges of bread are crisp and browned slightly.
- Sprinkle vegan parmesan over bread, if desired and serve immediately.