Sweet chewy date pieces, tart cranberries, and crunchy nut pieces make this Fruit and Nut Breakfast Quick Bread a delicious way to start the day or enjoy it as an afternoon snack with tea.
Did you know there is a some kind of national food holiday every single day of the year? Some days even have more than one!
As it turns out, today is National Date and Nut Bread day and it just so happens I made this Fruit and Nut Breakfast Quick Bread a while back. It's filled with date pieces, cranberries, and nuts so it seems fitting to share the recipe today.
I actually got the idea for this bread a few months ago while looking at a sales paper for one of the grocery stores we shop at. The ad featured a similar breakfast bread from the store bakery that looked yummy, but I figured it wasn't vegan so I came up with my own version. I can't say how it compares to the store bought, but I can say it was a hit with the family.
I used whole wheat flour and a bit of coconut sugar to make it a bit healthier and filled it with sweet date pieces, cranberries, and walnuts for lots of flavor and texture.
And since this is a quick bread it's super simple to put together. There's no kneading or waiting around for dough to rise, just combine everything in a bowl, pour it into a bread pan and bake. In just over an hour you'll have a freshly baked loaf of yummy bread perfect for breakfast or an afternoon snack.
If you try this recipe, let me know how it turns out! Leave a comment below or snap a pic and tag it @weelittlevegans on Instagram so I’ll be sure to see it!
Fruit & Nut Breakfast Quick Bread
- 1 cup non dairy milk, warmed slightly
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 flax egg or 3 tablespoon aquafaba
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup raisins
- ¼ cup walnuts or pecans
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup dates, chopped
- 3 tablespoon coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly oil a small bread pan.
- Prepare flax egg by whisking together 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds and 2 tablespoon water. Set aside to thicken.
- Combine non dairy milk and apple cider. Set aside.
- In a large bowl thoroughly combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, raisins, walnuts, cranberries, and dates.
- In another bowl combine milk mixture, flax egg, and coconut oil.
- Pour the wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix just to combine.
- Pour batter into oiled bread pan and bake for 60 minutes or until golden browned and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan.