These Vegan Breakfast Muffins are studded with vegan egg, tofu bacon and vegan cheese for a savory breakfast perfect for when you're on the go. Simple and kid friendly these muffins can be made ahead of time and enjoyed throughout the busy week.
These Vegan Breakfast Muffins are a deliciously savory alternative to typical sweet muffins. They are packed with bacon pieces, egg and cheese, but completely plant based. That's right! These muffins are made with vegan egg, tofu bacon and dairy free cheese.
You can use ready made ingredients found in the grocery store or make the add ins yourself. I made tofu bacon using the marinade from my tempeh bacon and store bought vegan egg for our muffins. You can also try my tofu scramble if you'd like to make everything from scratch.
The ingredients for these muffins are simple, but you'll need to prepare the bacon and egg you plan to use ahead of time. I made tofu bacon and cooked Just Egg for our muffins allowing everything cool before making the batter. If you make your own bacon, you can do it a day or two before and store in the fridge until you plan to bake the muffins to shorten the time it takes. Store bought vegan bacon will work as well so this recipe can be even simpler.
- non dairy milk
- apple cider vinegar
- flax egg (not shown in image above)
- all purpose flour
- corn meal
- baking powder
- prepared vegan egg or tofu scramble
- prepared tofu or tempeh bacon
- vegan cheese
See recipe card for quantities.
Prepare flax egg by whisking together 1 tablespoon of ground flax seed with 2 tablespoon of water. Set aside. Add apple cider vinegar to non dairy milk and whisk together, set aside. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a 12 well muffin pan.
Whisk together flour, corn meal, baking powder and sugar. Whisk together non dairy milk, oil and flax egg. Add milk mixture to dry ingredients and whisk just to combine.
Add vegan egg, tofu bacon and vegan cheese and fold into batter.
Spoon batter into prepared muffin pan filling two thirds of the well. Top with additional tofu bacon if desired.
Bake for 15-18 minutes until golden and baked though. Cool briefly before removing from pan.
Hint: You can make also make mini muffins, if desired. You'll need to adjust the baking time, mini muffins will take approximately 8 to 10 minutes.
- Gluten free - instead of all purpose flour, you can use a gluten free 1:1 flour
- Bacon - instead of bacon, you can use vegan sausage or seitan pieces.
- Soy free - you can make a chickpea flour scramble and coconut bacon if soy free is needed.
See this chickpea omelette for a soy free option for the egg. Prepare the batter and use a spatula to scramble the mixture the same as you would an egg instead of making an omelette. And try this coconut bacon for a soy free option.
- Seasonings - add additional seasonings to the batter such as chili powder, garlic powder, paprika, etc.
- Deluxe - serve with a side of fruit or smoothie and hash browns or home fries for a complete meal.
- Kid friendly - serve with a drizzle of maple syrup!
See this kid friendly green smoothie on my website!
You'll need a muffin pan for this recipe. A standard size pan or mini size pan will work.
Store the baked muffins in an air tight container in the refrigerator. Good for 2-3 days.
We haven't tried freezing the prepared muffins yet. Let us know if you try it!
Don't over mix the batter. The muffins will not be as light and fluffy if the batter is over mixed. It's ok if there are small lumps left after combining.
If you try these Vegan Breakfast Muffins, let me know how it turns out! Leave a comment and rating below or snap a pic and tag @weelittlevegans so I'll be sure to see it.
Vegan Breakfast Muffins
- 1 flax egg - 1 tablespoon ground +2 tablespoon water
- 1 cup non dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup oil or vegan melted butter
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup corn meal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 cup prepared vegan egg or tofu scramble
- 1 cup prepared tofu or tempeh bacon
- ½ cup vegan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a 12 well muffin pan.
- Prepare flax egg by whisking together 1 tablespoon of ground flax seed with 2 tablespoon of water. Set aside.
- Add apple cider vinegar to non dairy milk and whisk together, set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, corn meal, baking powder and sugar.
- Whisk together non dairy milk, oil and flax egg.
- Add milk mixture to dry ingredients and whisk just to combine. Don't over mix.
- Add vegan egg, tofu bacon and vegan cheese and fold into batter.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin pan filling two thirds of the well. Top with additional tofu bacon if desired.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until golden and baked though. Cool briefly before removing pan.