Warm cinnamon, nutmeg and plenty of apple make these Vegan Apple Banana Bread Muffins the perfect fall treat!
It's officially October, which means we should be doing all things pumpkin spice I know, but before we do let's take a moment to appreciate another fall flavor. Apples often take a backseat to the pumpkin craze that takes over this time of year, but not today. These Vegan Apple Banana Bread Muffins are full of apple flavor, spiced just right and perfect for fall!
Muffins are always a favorite at our house. They're quick and easy to make, the little ones can help and they're great to have around for those afternoons the kids come home from school "starving to death" as mine say. So, we're always thinking up new flavor combos to keep things from getting redundant. And this new combo is a total hit with all three. I'm not surprised though, I mean banana bread with bits of apple, warm cinnamon and a hint of nutmeg, obviously delicious.
what's in it
This recipe starts with white whole wheat flour like many of the muffin recipes you'll find around here. I like white whole wheat because it has a milder, softer flavor and texture than whole wheat, but is just as nutritious. You can also a gluten free flour if needed.
Like with any banana bread, you want to make sure the bananas have a lot of brown spots since that is where most of the sweetness comes from. There is a little bit of added sugar. I used raw cane sugar, but you can easily use coconut sugar or another dry sweetener for a refined sugar option.
which apples are best to use
For apples, you can use any variety that's good for baking fuji, Granny Smith for more tartness, honey crisp, Braeburn, gala, golden delicious. I use gala because they are crisp which helps retain texture and they add sweetness so less sugar is needed overall. I opt to shred the apples rather than just chopping to ensure the muffins bake through and the flavor is more distributed.
more muffins to try
If you make a recipe, I would love to know how it turns out! You can leave a comment and rating below or snap a pic and tag it @weelittlevegans on Instagram so I’ll be sure to see it!
Vegan Apple Banana Bread Muffins
- 2 flax eggs-2 tablespoon ground flax seed + 4 tablespoon water see below for more instruction, if needed
- 1 ½ cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 medium apples, peeled, cored, and shredded
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and place liners in a muffin pan. Set aside.
- Prepare flax eggs by whisking together ground flax and water. Set aside to thicken.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl combine mashed bananas, shredded apple, sugar and oil.
- Add flax eggs and mix to thoroughly combine.
- Make a well in the center of dry ingredients and pour wet ingredients in. Stir just to combine.
- Spoon batter, it will be thick, into prepared muffin pan. Lightly tap pan on counter to level the batter.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool for a few minutes in the pand and then transfer to a wire rack to cool fully.