All the deliciousness of banana bread with plenty of chocolate chips and coconut bits, these Coconut Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins are sure to be a hit. Made with whole wheat, oil free and of course vegan.
A couple of weeks ago, while the kids were out of school for holiday break, my middle child came up to me one day and asked if we could bake together. Yay! I asked her what she wanted to bake and her answer was muffins of course, because I really have muffin monsters for kiddos 😉 Anyone else's little ones go crazy for muffins like mine?
Once we decided to bake muffins we had to pick flavors. She adores coconut and I chocolate and we all know how delicious they are together so these Coconut Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins happened. And because she was so proud of her efforts and they tasted great she wanted to share it here.
what's in it
To keep the muffins on the healthier side we used a couple of spotty ripe bananas to add sweetness and extra flavor. So, you get a soft, moist banana bread muffin studded with lots of chocolate chips and bits of shredded coconut.
We also used the same trick as these muffins of replacing the oil with avocado. It worked perfectly, no one was the wiser, and my daughter loved telling the rest of the family they were secretly eating avocado in their muffin.
have the kids help
Getting the kids involved in the kitchen is something that is becoming more and more important to me for a number of reasons. Of course, it teaches them vital life skills like how to cook and feed themselves, but it also gets them thinking and talking about where their food is coming from and just how valuable it is. The more we talk about food choices the more they learn the importance of picking foods that will nourish, fuel, and protect their bodies. And they start to think beyond just their own plate and begin to understand the impact on the environment and how in this country especially, we take for granted how accessible food is.
So, I'm really making more of an effort to let them help even if it means a bit more mess and meals takes a little longer. It's just too important not to. That's it, there's my two cents on the topic.
What are your thoughts?
Do your kids help out with food preparations?
We hope you'll try these yummy muffins and if you do, let me know how it turns out! Leave a comment below or snap a pic and tag it @weelittlevegans on Instagram so I’ll be sure to see it!
Coconut Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
- 1 avocado
- 2 very ripe bananas
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ cup white whole wheat flour
- 3 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup shredded coconut + more for topping
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and place liners in a muffin pan. Set aside.
- Combine avocado, bananas, maple syrup, almond milk, vanilla, and apple cider vinegar in the bowl of food processor and blend until smooth.
- In another bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and stir just to combine.
- Gently fold in coconut and chocolate chips.
- Scoop batter into muffin pans and sprinkle with additional coconut if desired.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or a toothpick inserted comes out clean and coconut topping is toasted.
CLICK TO PIN FOR LATER