A How to Guide for making Coconut Bacon with just 6 ingredients. Ready in about 20 minutes .
Vegan bacon made from coconut, really who would have thought?! But, it totally works and tastes absolutely amazing. While I didn't come up with the idea for coconut bacon, this is my version flavored to suit our family's particular tastes. It has all of the salty, smokey, crunchiness of bacon and totally satisfies, all without the ickiness that is pork bacon.
This coconut bacon is super simple to make and starts with a marinade made with just 5 ingredients. Once you've made the marinade pour it over the flaked coconut and stir taking care to coat all pieces like you see below. This is ensures maximum flavor and yumminess. Bake up your marinated coconut for about 15 minutes and that's it. You're done. Just 20 minutes start to finish!
For the best tasting coconut bacon:
- Be sure to use unsweetened flaked coconut not shredded.
- Watch coconut very closely while baking as it browns quickly and will be burn easily.
- Bake on parchment paper or a silicon mat to make transferring the coconut to a jar even easier. Simply lift the paper and use it like a funnel to pour into the jar.
What to do with your coconut bacon?
Use it anywhere crumbled bacon would be used. BLT sandwiches are an obvious choice, but you can also top salads, potatoes, pizza, pasta dishes or eat it just as a snack on its own.
If you try this recipe, let me know how it turns out! Leave a comment below or snap a pic and tag it @weelittlevegans on Instagram so I’ll be sure to see it!
How to Make Coconut Bacon
- 3 tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce, tamari, or coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 3 cups flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a small bowl combine all ingredients except for coconut. Stir to thoroughly incorporate.
- Place coconut in a large bowl.
- Pour the liquid ingredients over coconut and stir to throughly coat all coconut.
- Spread in an even layer on baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes stirring every 5 minutes or so to ensure coconut cooks evenly.
- Allow to cool completely and store in airtight container.