Happy New Year!
I hope your new year is off to a great start. No complaints here. I’m feeling great (thank goodness the morning sickness is pretty much over) and back to enjoying cooking, eating, and sharing what I come up with here in this little space of mine. Sometimes you don’t realize just how much you love doing something until you’re unable to. That’s the realization I came to about creating these recipes and sharing them, in the weeks while I’ve been away. I really love the entire process even with the recipe fails resulting in wasted ingredients (and sometimes tears), the added stress of self imposed deadlines, learning and improving photography skills, and social media. I struggle the most with the social media part of it, the whole putting myself out there and self promoting, but I’m making it a goal to work on it. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated:)
So, onto this soup. Florida is getting some colder weather now and I am definitely in the mood for warm, comforting dishes like this Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup. My all time favorite soup prior to going vegan was broccoli cheese soup so it seemed fitting to come up with a vegan version that is just as creamy, flavorful, and delicious.
The creamy, cheesy base for this soup starts with the humble potato. Such a simple ingredient, but so useful and delicious in so many ways. And after the success of this queso, also made with potato, I knew it was the perfect starting point for this soup. Add some carrots, almond milk, plenty of nutritional yeast and spices and you’ve got the perfect base for soupy goodness.
This soup couldn’t be easier to make too. Just cook veggies until soft, blend, and your done. Just 10 ingredients and about 30 minutes and you can have a warm, delicious bowl ready to eat. Maybe not a fast as opening a can, but certainly more nutritious and much tasty. And because there is no oil it’s low in fat too making it perfect for those New Year’s resolutions to get healthier.
If you try this recipe, let me know how it turns out! Leave a comment below or snap a pic and tag it @weelittlevegans on Instagram so I’ll be sure to see it!
Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 4 cups, heaping broccoli florets fresh or frozen works
- 4 small yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed. About 3 cups.
- 2 carrots, sliced. About ½ cups.
- 31/2 cup plain unsweetened almond milk
- 2-3 garlic cloves, peeled
- ½ -¾ cup nutritional yeast
- 1-2 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- In a saucepan combine the potatoes, carrots, whole garlic cloves, and almond milk. Bring to a boil and gently boil until potatoes are soft and easily break apart with fork. About 20 minutes.
- In a separate pan steam broccoli florets until slightly tender.
- Transfer potato mixture to a blender and add nutritional yeast and remaining seasonings. Blend until very smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking and add half of the steamed broccoli. Blend for a few seconds longer.
- Return cheese soup to stovetop and add remaining broccoli. Heat until warmed through and serve immediately.