Creamy, mashed sweet potatoes with a sweet, crunchy pecan and coconut streusel topping. This Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole is made with only 10 ingredients, no refined sugar, and gluten free.
Thanksgiving is just a few days away, you guys! What are your plans for the day? Are you cooking a big vegan meal for the whole family? I'd love to know!
Just in case you're looking for one more easy side dish to add to your menu, here's my super simple and oh so delicious Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole. It's made with just 10 ingredients and only takes about an hour to whip up.
So, what's in it? This casserole starts with a creamy, luscious layer of mashed sweet potatoes infused with cinnamon and nutmeg. The potatoes are then topped with a sweet, crunchy pecan and coconut streusel that is just delicious. Definitely a family favorite!
- sweet potatoes
- coconut oil
- maple syrup
- chopped pecans
- coconut sugar
- shredded coconut
- oat flour
See recipe card for quantities.
This recipe is fairly simple. Start by cleaning, peeling and chopping the potatoes and then transfer to a large pot of water. Bring to a boil, continue to cook until potatoes are easily pierced by a fork. Once potatoes are tender drain the water and transfer to the bowl of a stand mixer. Alternatively, you can use a large bowl and a hand mixer. Add oil, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and maple syrup. Whip until fluffy and lump free then transfer to baking dish. Combine the ingredients for the topping in a bowl and thoroughly mix. Sprinkle topping over potatoes and bake until topping has caramelized and browned slightly.
Oat flour keeps the streusel topping gluten free, but you could also use all purpose flour.
Coconut sugar makes it a better option for people with diabetes and those watching their refined sugar intake, but brown sugar works as well.
And to make this nut free, try swapping out the pecans for sunflower seeds.
A stand mixer or hand mixer is helpful to achieve the smoothest potatoes, however a potato masher would work if don't have a mixer. Your potatoes may have a few lumps if you use the masher.
I hope your family will enjoy this casserole as much as my family does and if you do try it, I'd love to know how it turns out! Leave a comment below or snap a pic and tag it @weelittlevegans on Instagram so I’ll be sure to see it!
Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole
- 4 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2-3 tbsp maple syrup optional
- ¾ cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- ⅓ cup oat flour
- 3 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place chopped sweet potatoes in a large pot and cover with enough water to cover potatoes completely.
- Bring to a boil of medium high heat and continue to cook for about 15-20 minutes until potatoes are fork tender.
- Drain and transfer potatoes to stand mixer or a large bowl. Add oil, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and syrup if using. Whip until fluffy and lump free.
- Combine topping ingredients in a bowl and mix to combine thoroughly.
- Spread potatoes in an even layer in an 8 x 8 baking dish.
- Spoon topping over potatoes in an even layer.
- Bake for 30 minutes until topping is caramelized and has browned slightly.