Rich chocolatey flavor and peanut butter, a classic flavor combination. This Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Granola is packed with protein and sweetened with maple syrup making it a great option for a snack and a healthier way to treat yourself!
We love granola around our house because it’s just so darn easy to make. You can pretty much throw whatever you have in your pantry in there and it’s sure to come out delicious.
This Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Granola is our new favorite at the moment. It’s perfect for the kids’ (and Dad’s) lunch boxes and snacks for a little sweet treat that’s still pretty healthy too. The chocolate in this granola comes from the cocoa powder baked in the oats and the chocolate chips added at the end. And because there’s cocoa powder baked in, when you eat it like a breakfast cereal, my favorite way, it turns your milk chocolatey too. Yum!
This granola gets protein not only from peanut butter, but also uncooked quinoa. The quinoa adds nutrition and an extra crunchy, nuttiness that I love. Even my daughter, who normally hates quinoa, likes it added to the granola. So, if you’re not a fan of quinoa, but want the nutritional benefits, you might just like it this way! I also added coconut flakes for texture and because I just like coconut especially with chocolate and peanut butter.
I know some of you prefer a lower fat option so for that, you can simply replace the natural peanut butter with an equal amount of a powdered peanut butter prepared according to the package instructions and add a pinch of salt. You’ll reduce the fat without sacrificing any of the peanut-y flavor.
There’s really no reason to buy over priced, often unhealthy pre-made packages at the store. Making your own granola is super simple and because you’re making it yourself, you control exactly what does and doesn’t go into it.
If you try this recipe, let me know how it turns out! Leave a comment below or snap a pic and tag it @weelittlevegans on Instagram so I’ll be sure to see it!
Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Granola
- 3 cup oats
- ½ cup natural peanut butter with salt
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup coconut flakes or chips
- ½ cup quinoa, uncooked
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¼- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine oats, quinoa, and coconut flakes. Set aside.
- In a small pan over medium low heat peanut butter, maple syrup, and cocoa powder, stirring to throughly combine until smooth and pourable.
- Pour peanut butter mixture over oat mix and stir really well to coat.
- Spread oats on a large baking sheet. Bake for about 25 minutes until slightly crisped. Stir every 10 minutes or so to break up large clumps and ensure even baking.
- Allow to cool completely, add chocolate chips, and enjoy! Store in an airtight container.