My kids and I love crispy, crunchy snacks and roasted chickpeas are one of our absolute favorites. They’re packed with nutrition, simple to make, and totally satisfy that craving. This newest variety, Cheezy Herb Roasted Chickpeas is quickly becoming one of our new favorite ways to get our snack on.
Where does the cheesy flavor come from you ask? Nutritional yeast, of course, which also gives these chickpeas an extra nutritional boost. If you’re not familiar with nooch as those you love it often refer to it, it is a deactivated yeast that is often used in vegan cooking for its natural cheesy flavor. It is a good source of protein with 8 grams in 2 tablespoons and many brands are fortified with B 12, a nutrient that can be harder for vegans to obtain. Tasty and nutritious, that’s why I love nutritional yeast.
But, if you happen to be one of those people who isn’t a fan of the nooch, you can always make my equally delicious Smoky Garlic Roasted Chickpeas instead.
If you try this recipe, let me know how it turns out! Leave a comment below or snap a pic and tag it @weelittlevegans on Instagram so I’ll be sure to see it!
Cheezy Herb Roasted Chickpeas
- 2 cups chickpeas I used dry beans I prepared ahead of time, but canned beans would work as well.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Drain, rinse, and dry chickpeas with paper towels. Remove and discard any loose skins. Spread chickpeas on baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes until chickpeas begin to crisp. They will be soft and a bit chewy.
- Remove from oven and drizzle with oil and sprinkle with seasonings. Toss to coat evenly. Lower heat to 375 degrees and return pan to the oven. Bake for an additional 15- 20 minutes or until chickpeas are crispy and crunchy.