These Vegan Rocky Road Cookies have all the flavors of the popular ice cream baked into cookie form. A fun treat for the whole family!
I think we've officially settled into the morning routine for school this year and I am amazed at how much smoother things have gone. Usually it's a bit of pure madness the first couple of weeks particularly with morning drop off, but this year it's been smooth sailing. So, to celebrate this not so rocky start to the school year I made Vegan Rocky Road Cookies. And wow, are they delicious!
These cookies are really simple to make and take less than 30 minutes start to finish. For the base, I started with the recipe for my almond butter cookies and added plenty of vegan marshmallows, chocolate chips and almond slices. The result is a gooey, chocolatey, chewy cookie that is sure to be a hit with anyone who loves this classic flavor combination.
Tip: If like me, you only have large marshmallows available, dust the cutting board and knife with a bit of tapioca starch to reduce stickiness and make cutting easier. After each cut simply tap the exposed side in a bit of the starch so the now small marshmallows won't stick to each other for more even distribution in the dough.
These cookies were a huge hit with the family especially the kids so I hope you'll like them just as much.
But if rocky road isn't your thing, here's a few more cookies to try:
- Vegan Movie Snack Cookies
- Gluten Free Blueberry Oatmeal Cookies
- Easy Vegan Coconut Oil Sugar Cookies
- Vegan Almond Butter Cookies
- Vegan Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies
If you try this recipe or any others, I'd love to know how it turns out! Leave a comment below or snap a pic and tag it @weelittlevegans on Instagram so I’ll be sure to see it!
Vegan Rocky Road Cookies
- 1 flax or chia egg see below for instructions
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- ⅛ - ¼ teaspoon salt if almond butter is unsalted use ¼ tsp.
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup almond butter I used creamy.
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup dairy free chocolate chips
- 5-6 large vegan marshmallows cut into small pieces or ½ cup minis See notes
- ⅓ cup almond slices
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Prepare flax egg by whisking together 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds and 2 tablespoon water. Set aside to thicken. To prepare chia egg, whisk together 1 tablespoon ground chia seeds and 3 tablespoon water. Set aside to thicken. For further instruction see link below for my how to guide.
- In a bowl combine flour, salt and baking soda. Whisk to thoroughly combine. Set aside.
- Combine almond butter, coconut sugar and maple syrup. Using a hand mixer or stand mixer whip until creamy, about 1 minute.
- Add flax or chia egg and vanilla. Whip to incorporate.
- Scrap bowl and add flour mixture a little at a time, mixing to incorporate before adding more. Continue this until all flour has been added and created a dough.
- Add marshmallows, chocolate and almond slices and fold in using a rubber spatula.
- Scoop small rounds of dough onto prepared baking sheet. Press slightly with the palm of your hand to flatten a bit.
- Bake for 9-12 minutes or until golden brown on bottom.
- Allow to cool a few minutes on baking sheet before moving to a cool rack to cool further.
- To make cutting large marshmallows easy, dust a cutting board and knife with tapioca starch to reduce stickiness.
- How to Make Flax and Chia Eggs