A simple, quick and healthy meal, this Baked Lemon & Herb Crusted Tofu only requires a few ingredients and is ready in about 30 minutes.
Anyone else finding life busy right now? We've had a lot going on lately with school functions, not leaving a lot of time for dinners. Luckily, I have a few quick and satisfying recipes that don't take much time to prepare. Lately, a go to meal for us has been this Baked Lemon & Herb Crusted Tofu. It requires only 8 ingredients and about 30 minutes so it's a great quick, healthy meal for those busy nights.
The idea for this dish came from a recipe I saw for herb crusted fish on House & Garden. Obviously, the texture of tofu doesn't mimic fish, but this version is vey tasty and nutritious. Tofu is a great source of protein, iron and calcium. Serve with a simple green salad or other green veggies and you've got a seriously nutritious meal. I roast asparagus or broccoli in the oven at the same time for a super quick, healthy meal. A squeeze of fresh lemon juice before serving brightens everything up and tastes delicious.
Almost everyone in the family enjoys this dish, the one exception is my oldest. She doesn't particularly care for lemon so the zest is a bit overwhelming for her. If your little ones are similar, simply omit or use less of the lemon zest and skip the squeeze of fresh lemon juice before serving.
More tofu recipes to try:
If you try this recipe, let me know how it turns out! Leave a comment below or snap a pic and tag it @weelittlevegans on Instagram so I’ll be sure to see it!
Baked Herb Crusted Tofu
- 16 oz super firm tofu I use Nasoya pre-pressed
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- zest of one lemon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- lemon wedges for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- If you are using tofu that is in water, drain and place on a lint free towel. Place another towel on top and place something heavy on top to remove as much water as possible.
- In a bowl, combine breadcrumbs, garlic, lemon zest, parsley, basil, salt and pepper. Stir to thoroughly incorporate.
- Add olive oil and mix until evenly combined.
- Cut tofu into 6-7 slices ¼ to ½ inch thick. Place on prepared baking sheet and spoon breadcrumb mixture on top of each piece of tofu, distributing evenly. Press down slightly with back of spoon.
- Bake on the middle rack for 20 - 25 minutes or until breadcrumbs have browned a bit.
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice over tofu and serve with a fresh salad or green veggies.