This Vegan BLT Salad is made with tempeh bacon and homemade croutons and drizzled with a simple yogurt based ranch dressing.
This is it you guys! This is the deliciousness we were building to with the recipes earlier this week, a Vegan BLT Salad. All the components of the always popular sandwich are there in delicious vegan form. And the whole family (yes, all three kids!) are more than a little obsessed with it. I can't say I disagree with them, it's pretty darn delicious!
Ok, so to make this salad you'll want to make this tempeh bacon and these simple vegan croutons first. Don't worry both recipes are easy and relatively quick, but if you're pinched for time you could definitely use store bought tempeh and croutons and it will still be yummy. Of course, if you have the time you should definitely try the homemade versions because they are delish.
I could not be happier with this dressing. It's flavorful, creamy, and tastes like ranch. It's also super simple and you don't need any special equipment because we're not blending cashews or tofu like many vegan ranch dressings. Instead I once again reached for the vegan yogurt and it worked just as I hoped adding a tang and creaminess that ranch is known for. Fresh parsley and dill give this dressing a herbaceous flavor that really compliments the other ingredients.
I really dislike over dressed salads so once again I went light with the amount of dressing. My husband usually likes a bit more dressing than I do, but felt anymore would cause the croutons to become soggy. If you prefer a more dressed salad and don't mind soggy croutons you'll want to double up the recipe and use the desired amount. Store in any leftover dressing in the fridge for 1 to 2 days.
We enjoyed this salad as a light dinner along with fruit, but it would be great for potlucks or summer get togethers too. Just prepare the salad waiting to add the dressing until just before serving so the lettuce remains fresh and crisp.
If you try this recipe, let me know how it turns out! Leave a comment below or snap a pic and tag it @weelittlevegans on Instagram so I’ll be sure to see it!
Vegan BLT Salad
Vegan Ranch Dressing:
- 5.3 oz container plain, unsweetened non dairy yogurt I used So Delicious coconut yogurt.
- ½ tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- ½ tablespoon fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried chives
- 7 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup tempeh bacon, chopped I used homemade. Link below.
- 1 cup croutons I used homemade. Link below.
Vegan Ranch Dressing:
- In a small bowl add all ingredients for the dressing and whisk to thoroughly incorporate. Set aside while you prepare salad.
- In a large bowl toss lettuce, tomatoes, tempeh, and croutons to evenly distribute ingredients.
- Drizzle with dressing and toss to evenly coat.
- Serve immediately for best taste.