So, when I thought of this Green Pea Hummus is was definitely one of those duh moments. You know, when you're just like why didn't I think of this sooner?! It seems so obvious now, my daughters love peas and hummus so why not combine the two into one creamy, nutrient dense dip.
Peas are packed with all kinds of nutritious goodness including vitamins C, A, and K plus they are a good source of iron and even have protein. Combine that with the protein richness of chickpeas and you easily shut down all those "but, where do you get your protein" questions.
So, what do the kids think about this hummus? They have requested it for lunch the last 3 days and even packed it in their lunches, along with crisp pita wedges and veggies, for the first day of school today! I think it's safe to say they like it 😉
This pea hummus is super simple to make with 6 to 8 ingredients needed depending on your child's taste preferences. While testing, I initially left the tahini and cumin out and although tasty, my kids found it a little on the blander side. So, although my kids prefer the extra flavor of these two ingredients, yours may not if they don't already eat hummus. This way would also be great for introducing to babies just beginning solids or those sensitive to sesame seeds. My 13 month old really enjoyed it as well!
Tell me, are your little ones fans of hummus? Peas?
If you try this recipe, let me know how it turns out! Leave a comment below or snap a pic and tag it @weelittlevegans on Instagram so I’ll be sure to see it!
Green Pea Hummus - Oil free
- 1 15 oz can of chickpeas, drain reserving the liquid, and rinse
- 1 ½ cup cooked green peas I used leftovers from dinner.
- ¼ cup reserved liquid from chickpea can
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 2 tablespoon tahini optional
- ¼ tsp salt + more to taste
- ¼ -½ teaspoon cumin optional
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Combine all ingredients in bowl of food processor.
- Blend, scraping down sides of bowl as needed, until smooth and creamy.
- Taste and adjust seasonings to your like.
CLICK BELOW TO PIN FOR LATER