Light and fluffy pancakes that taste like banana nut bread. These Whole Wheat Banana Nut Pancakes are simple and satisfying.
Breakfast is the favorite meal of the day around here and today's recipe is one we've been making for a long time. In fact, these Whole Wheat Banana Nut Pancakes are a bit of a tradition. It started when my oldest child was about four years old. Some spotty bananas on the counter and little one's craving for pancakes gave me the idea. So, we did what we usually do and pulled over a chair for her to stand on. Then we got to work whipping up a batch. We had a great time measuring, dumping, mashing, mixing and of course eating our creation.
As each of the kids have gotten older and more able to help in the kitchen I've continued making these pancakes with each one as sort of an introduction to cooking. It's also a nice way to spend one on one time together. So, you'll notice this recipe is for a smaller batch making enough for 2-3 people.
Just as you would with banana bread, you want to make sure your bananas are very ripe for this recipe. The bananas should be very spotty as they are sweeter this way and we're not adding any additional sweetener to the batter.
tips for light and fluffy pancakes
Whole wheat flour can be a tricky due to its denser texture. Since we're after a light and fluffy pancake, there are a couple of things I do to help achieve this. First, use white whole wheat flour, this is simply a specific type of wheat that has a softer and milder flavor and texture. It is nutritional as healthy as the stuff labeled whole wheat. Next sifting the flour helps to produce a lighter and fluffier end product. Lastly using a bit more liquid than a typical pancake recipe since whole wheat of any kind absorbs more than all purpose flour. This ensures the batter is wet enough and pourable.
More Pancake recipes to try
I hope you enjoy this pancake recipe as much as my family does!
Do you have any recipes that have become a tradition to make with your kids? Let me know by leaving comment below.
If you make a recipe, I would love to know how it turns out! You can leave a comment and rating below or snap a pic and tag it @weelittlevegans on Instagram so I’ll be sure to see it!
Whole Wheat Banana Nut Pancakes
- 2 bananas, very ripe and mashed
- 1 ½ cup white whole wheat flour
- 3 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cup non dairy milk, warm slightly I use almond
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- Sift flour, salt and baking powder in a large bowl and set aside. Whisk to thoroughly incorporate and set aside.
- Combine bananas, milk, oil and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients and walnuts into the dry ingredients and whisk just to combine.
- Let batter rest while heating a skillet over medium heat.
- Pour ¼ cup of batter on to skillet and cook until bubbles appear on surface and edges and dry.
- Flip and continue to cook cook until golden about 2-3 minutes.
- Continue this process until all batter has been used. Keep cooked pancakes in a warm oven while cooking the remaining batter.
- Serve with banana slices, chopped walnuts and real maple syrup if desired.