Mint Chocolate Chip Pancakes, vegan and made with whole wheat for a healthier indulgence.
The kids are out of school now for summer vacation, which means slower mornings for us. And slower mornings for my kids means pancakes. They absolutely love them and would happily eat them every single day. Of course, I won't let them do that, but I did want to make an extra special batch to kick off the start of summer. These Mint Chocolate Chip Pancakes are just that!
Although these pancakes seem really decadent, they are healthier than typical pancakes. They're made with whole wheat flour for added fiber and additional nutrients, rather than white flour where those nutrients have been stripped away. Fresh mint also adds a bit more nutrition, albeit in small quantities. But, with the added flavor of mint, we didn't find it necessary to soak the pancakes in maple syrup thus reducing the overall sugar content. Instead we added a drizzle of melted dark chocolate, which is loaded with antioxidants and further enhances nutrition without adding a ton of sugar.
Now, if you wanted to go a bit more decadent for say dessert, a bit of vegan whip cream would be really nice and I certainly would judge 🙂
And if you're enjoying slower days now too or your kids love pancakes as much as mine, here's a bit more pancake deliciousness to enjoy this summer:
If you try this recipe or any others, I'd love to know what you think! Leave a comment below or snap a pic and tag it @weelittlevegans on Instagram so I’ll be sure to see it!
Mint Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoon non dairy milk, room temperature I use almond.
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinger
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ cup fresh mint leaves
- ¼ cup vegan chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
- Combine non dairy milk and apple cider vinegar. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt and baking poweder.
- Add sugar, vanilla and coconut oil to milk mixture, stirring to combine.
- Make a well in the middle of flour and pour in the milk mixture. Whisk just to combine.
- Finely chop mint leaves. Add mint and chocolate chips to batter and gently fold in. Let batter rest for at least 5 minutes.
- While the batter rests, preheat a skillet over medium heat.
- Once skillet has heated,( a drop of water should sizzle and quickly evaporate), add small amounts of batter to pan leaving space between. You may need to use a small bit of oil depending on the type of pan you use to cook the pancakes.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes or until edges have dried and bubbles form over the surface of the pancakes. Flip and continue to cook for 1-2 minutes longer or until cooked through and browned lightly.
- Continue this process until all batter has been used. You can warm an oven to 200 degrees to get prepared pancakes warm while the rest cook.
- Serve the pancakes warm with a drizzle of maple syrup or melted chocolate.